Friday, March 10, 2006

Fridays Just Aren't The Same Anymore...

It just dawned on me this evening that I cannot remember the last time I genuinely shouted T.G.I.F. from the rooftops. If I thought long and hard about it, the last time that I was really and truly ecstatic about it being Friday was when I was working in Manhattan. And that, my friends, was many, many, many moons ago.

When I moved to LA, I knew no one except for my soon-to-be-ex-husband (too bad that doesn't make a nifty little acronym). He was/is a homebody and I had no friends...so Fridays and the impending weekend, didn't mean jack to me.

Once I eventually made friends that I wanted to hang out with on the weekends, I was transitioning into a job where I worked from home and made my own hours...so I could make any day Friday. While everyone with desk jobs, 9 to 5ers or those who actually had a building to report to every week day were counting down the minutes to 5:00 on Friday, I had been there and done that on Tuesday. This carried over to my move back East.

Now that I'm not working a real full time job, EVERY day is Friday...and as nice as that may sound to all of you out there in the working world...trust me,it SUCKS!!! Maybe it wouldn't...wait, I take that back, I KNOW it wouldn't suck if I was independently wealthy, came from money or if I married rich...but I'm not/I didn't. Hence, the suck factor.

What sucks even more now is that I started working a parttime retail job. I've never worked retail before - which might come as a surprise to most of you since you probably did this...oh...I don't know...maybe in...........high school??? And I now understand why (but that's a subject for a whole other blog). My point is that due to this parttime "sentence," Friday is now DREADFUL. Friday means that tomorrow I have to stand on my feet for 8 hours straight re-hanging up underwear that I'm unsure were tried on OVER the underwear that was worn into the store (or at least I hope was worn into the store). Oh the stories I could tell you..."N" to the "A-S-T-Y"!!!!

But a sistah has to do what a sistah has to do. So I suck it up and thank God for the little piece of job that I have which allows me to keep enough gas in the car to get me there, to pay a bill or two - but unfortunately not NEARLY enough to keep the soon-to-be-ex-husband (I must come up with an acronym) off my back.

I digress...

Note to self: The very first Friday that finds you counting down the minutes 'til 5:00, you must go out and party like it's 1999 (I don't care how old this phrase is and it makes no difference that this year has already come and gone...it is still an excellent indicator of just how hard one will dance and how much alcohol one will consume).

So to all of you authentic and well deserving T.G.I.Fers...take one back for me tonight...wish I could be there!



2 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger TTD said...

fridays are what u make of them.. i have a 9 to 5er.. and some fridays, i can say TGIF!!! and others im like, ehh.. so make the most of it if you can!

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Darbs said...

very true

 

Post a Comment

<< Home