Friday, March 24, 2006

This Is The Day

"...that the Lord hath made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!" (Psalms 118:24)

Please feel free to substitute "Lord" for whatever higher power in which you believe, as I respect all religions and other's choice of faith. Me? I submit to Jesus Christ. He is my Lord and Savior.

I do not intend to post a sermon tonight...nor am I going to preach to you. I began my post as such because today, especially, I remembered that no matter what I might be going through it could always be worse. And it is...for so many people. I went to bed last night with today not being promised to me. I am thankful, and blessed, to have been witness to this day!

I worked my part time job today and while on break a co-worker shared some very unfortunate news. Her otherwise healthy and happy niece of 30 very young years had died (I'm 30 myself, so this hit home for me somthing serious). No suffering with a long, drawn out illness. No years of known depression that led to an untimely, yet not surprising, suicide. No abusive boyfriend/husband that "finally" made good on a promise of taking her life. None of these circumstances pertains to my co-worker's niece. Her symptom...a headache!

Because of personal experience with a friend of mine, in my mind I'm thinking "brain aneurysm." But even though I was able to come up with my own diagnosis (and it is just MY opinion...the cause of death has not been determined), this did not remove any of the overwhelming sadness I felt for this young woman and her family. How tragic that in the time it takes for you to blink your eyes...your life could be over!

My best friend has age issues. She's not comfortable talking about her age. I mention this because we both turned 30 not too long ago and I tried to convince her that this life event was a blessing. I told her that we should be thankful that we have lived to see another year. I told her that I carry no shame with turning 30 because if I wasn't turning 30 that would mean that I was dead. I meant it when I said that to her, but it wasn't until today that I realized just HOW MUCH I meant it.

I was challenged even further to consider life when my sister (the one in Virginia, not NY...circa the post prior to this) called to tell me her doctor found a growth at the base of her brain near the pituitary gland (I'm not implying that this is deadly, but it just causes you to ponder). They found this growth in some X-rays that were taken after a very minor car accident a couple weeks ago - the two being totally unrelated. She has to have an MRI done on Monday that will provide us with more information. I was told by my friend that if it is a pituitary tumor - they are usually benign, which is good. God forbid it is something else, I pray that this fender bender was a blessing in disguise and that this is an early detection of a "something else" that is treatable.

It's funny...just this morning I was chatting with my best friend and I told her that I didn't want to toot my own horn, but that I was impressed with how well I am handling my life situations as I sometimes feel like they warrant a nervous breakdown. I actually said to her, and it just dawned on me now, that what helps prevent my having a nervous breakdown (no matter how deserved it might be) is that even though I think I have it bad (not saying that my "bad" is insignificant), someone else has it worse. I literally said that this morning and it gives me chills to know that God chose to cosign this life lesson for me today...mysterious ways I tell you!

I am thankful for my life...it is perfect in all of its imperfection.

Admitting that at times I do forget, I will remember to pray tonight. My prayer will be one of thanksgiving and for comfort...comfort for she who is bereaved...and she who is beloved.

Blessings!

2 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger TTD said...

so true... i have to remind myself that at times... but what also helps (as to not find joy in other's misery) is to just count the blessings that you do have... that will make u appreciate life more

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Sangindiva said...

Doesn't it feel good to know that you are blessed?
Doesn't it feel great when you let God know??!!
I'm glad you realize that LIFE is the gift he gave to us-
and that you are grateful for everyday :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home