Friday, May 19, 2006

The Need To Bead

For those of you who have viewed my profile, you know that I have "making jewelry" listed as one of my interests. Jewelry making became a hobby of mine when I moved back to the East Coast last year. One day, when I was overcome with boredom (and I'm sure getting on my best friend's nerves), my friend suggested that I make a necklace. She had dabbled in jewelry making over the years, so she had lots of supplies to keep me occupied. I had nothing else to do, so I decided to give it a try...I immediately discovered a new love and a hidden talent.

Many trips to the bead store later (having spent nauseating amounts of money), I was hooked. I found beading to be very therapeutic. I was in my own world. Creating beautiful works of...art, really. Before I knew it, I had an array of beads/crystals/charms/clasps in all shapes, sizes and colors and a bin full of custom made necklaces. I hadn't even thought about what I was going to do with them all!

As I began wearing some of my pieces and sharing my new found hobby with friends, the response and reaction that I received was alarming. I was encouraged to begin selling my pieces...start a business even. Strangely enough, I was a bit apprehensive about "letting go" of something into which I had put my heart and soul...accepting money for something that came so easy to me that I felt anyone could do it.

I ended up giving away a couple of necklaces before I actually sold one. My first sale went to a very good friend of mine who purchased them to give away as Christmas gifts. I was told they went over well. That same friend, for Christmas, gave me the most special gift that I think I have ever received...she had about 200 business cards printed up for me and in the box was an article that she tore out of a magazine about a woman who had started her jewelry business after divorcing her husband and finding herself financially strapped, and in a bit of a depression. That gift meant the world to me...it showed me just how much my friend believed in me. I still get chills and teary eyed when I think about it.

After the drama resurfaced in my "marriage," I lost my mojo...lost my desire to create as a result of my lack of inspiration. From time to time I would go through my bead collection...desperate for something to click...to bring back the joy that it had once given me. (cue cricket soundtrack) Nothing.

Well folks, as I gain stride on my journey back to joy, I have fallen in love again!

I have been commissioned, by my gift giving friend's sister, to make the bridesmaid's jewelry for a wedding she is in at the end of the month. Soooo...to make a story, that I never intended to be this long, short - I am beading my little heart out and will be back as soon as I'm through...which is going to HAVE to be in the next couple of days as the wedding is right around the corner. If I'm able to figure out how to post pics...I'll take a few to share with you.

Creativity STILL resides in me after all!


23 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Blogger African girl, American world said...

ohh ohh ohh I can't wait to see. I know quite a few peple that make jewerly and my husband is one of those people.
I'm glad your mojo's back and this time lets keep it going :)

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger chele said...

That is just awesome! My sister makes quilts and she is so very talented. However, like you, she couldn't comprehend charging people for her work. It felt weird to her. She was asked to make a very personal, detailed quilt for a groom from his bride and when she quoted a price the bride was astounded and surely felt that my sister was underselling herself. She gave her more than what she asked for.

What a great way to find the joy that was lost due to the demise of your marriage. I chose writing and was able to complete and publish a novel while going through a divorce. Girl, embrace your joy, embrace your talent and if you can make a profit at the same time ... where's the harm?

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Darbs said...

@ Mwabi: I'm gonna try to post some pics as soon as I can. What kind of jewelry does your husband make? Does he work with metal, stones, leather??? I'd be interested to know.

@ Chele: Thank you so much for your support and encouragment...it really means the world to me. I, too, am glad for the joy that I have found...through my jewelry making and now through this blog. I don't know what I would do without them!

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That sounds so cool! I'd love to do the same but I'm lacking one huge thing - creavity or more like I have the need to be perfect....

post pics by when you are making your post just tap on the photo on the upper right. Hit browse and pics on oyur computer show up... It's really easy..

:) Hope you finish fast!

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Darbs said...

@ Expat...yeah...it's a pretty cool hobby...I must say. I'm gonna try my best to post the pics...thanks for the "how to."

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger TTD said...

i used to create jewlery a while ago.. the passion wasnt in it for me though.. and since it's in it for you.. im sure you'll do well & start ur own little business!

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Sangindiva said...

It was great of your friend to do that for you!!!
I pray that as you put your hand to your business it will prosper!! GO DARBS!!

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Darbs said...

Darbs said...

@ TTD: As jewelry making can be very nerve-wracking, the passion does have to be there...so I understand where you are coming from.

@ Sangin': Weeeeelllll...I'm not sure about starting a legitimate business...but I'll make/sell pieces when it's requested of me. Atleast that's where I am right now...thanks for the support though girl...I know I can always count on you!

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Tracie P. said...

take a couple of pictures! i want to see them...

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool Darbs...I am happy you are on the journey back to you....I wanna see pictures !

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Lāā said...

That is so great Darbs! I'm glad that you are getting back into something that you loved. You must post pictures.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger LUVIN ME said...

I bet they are really nice.

Custom pieces...yep, you could make a pretty penny.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Dennis Bourne said...

Hey Darbs,

Glad to hear you got your groove back. And I'm doubly glad that it didn't involve a trip to Jamaica and end in a dog and pony show on Oprah.

God bless,
Dennis

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Mocha said...

That's such a beautiful gift from your friend. I love gifts that really show you how a person feels.

I really hope you can post the pics! And hey...who knows what this will lead to!

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Charles said...

That sounds really cool. I could never do that, cause I think I suffer from ADD...but more power to ya. I'm sure that they look beautiful.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Darbs said...

@ Everyone: I've been having computer trouble lately...I actually don't even know if this comment is going to post. Hence, I am sending one to the masses as opposed to individually.

Thank you to everyone for your support, encouragement and excitement. I finished the sets and have taken pics to post once we fix this problem!

Also...I've fallen behind on what is going on in all of your lives, so I hope all is well and please know that I will be catching up as soon as I can!

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger That Girl Tam said...

From one ARTIST to another, your blogging family and close personal friends can and will inspire some of your BEST work EVER. My blogging family has been good to me and my artistic business endeavors as they will be to you.

I'm looking forward to seeing samples of your work and one day seeing your work sitting in a chic boutique next to mine!! :)

Artistic blogger unite!! Hey...that's a novel idea...artistic bloggers collectively open a store...hmmm...

Best of luck you you!!

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow ! I have only done 2 necklaces for my self...I would love to see some of your things...Good luck with the wedding. (Phoenix... EXCEllent idea)

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Darbs said...

@ Phoenix, Gina & Chris: Thanks for stopping by my site & for the kind comments.

@ Phoenix: I'm down...

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Ddot the King said...

Creativity lives....I can dig it.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Actor Smurf said...

That is absolutely amazing...I have a buddy who has a jewelry business in Atlanta and it is just an amazign thing when you can create something so artistically beautiful that is worn and seen by all....congrats!

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Butta said...

You go girl! I just love to hear people using their God given talents to create something...anything. And your creations sound quite lovely if you're making jewelry for weddings and what not.

It's funny because I went to a "Beading Extravaganza" at Michael's a few weeks ago thinking I was gonna pick beading up as a new hobby. Sike my mind! Beading takes skill that I clearly didn't possess. Keep up the good work...can't wait to see your photos.

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger Darbs said...

@ Butta: Thank you so much...I can't wait to share the pics with you guys. And don't give up too quickly...if ever you would like a very basic tutorial (because I'm still learning myself)...you know where to find me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home