Saturday, June 24, 2006

"Tons" To Grow On

Even though it is said as if it is a badge of honor (which it may be), it is sometimes quite difficult to accept the fact that we are a work in progress...to realize that you're not in that perfect place or position of your dreams because it's just not your time...there is STILL work that needs to be done. Now, realistically speaking, will we EVER reach that "perfect" place or position? Probably not. But we sure was hell can get much closer than we probably are right now! And what might come as a shock to some is...for the most part, the ball is in OUR court.

Darbs...what do you mean, you ask? Well first let me state the obvious: I am no certified therapist or philosopher...but merely a journeywoman with my eyes on, and ears to the ground of, this thing called "life." So as always, in regards to my following thoughts and statements, feel free to take it or leave it. Now on to what I mean...

What I have come to know as true (the operative word being "I') is that not EVERY trial or tribulation needs to be on "stand by" awaiting remedy by divine intervention. Please don't misunderstand...there are some issues that DO require us to be faithful and wait...there is NO DOUBT in my mind about that. HOWEVER...most of them simply require us to jump start our lazy minds and/or get off our lazy butts and MOVE! And so that everyone is clear, I do not mean move as in relocate (change of scenery, alone, can not always do it...LOL). I mean move as in: Do something! Take action! Being stagnant results in our standing in our own way - doing that very thing that Patti LaBelle told us not to do - blocking our blessings! Hindering our progress.

And we must be honest and realistic with our flaws, weaknesses and bad habits. We can't skip over some and justify the others. Which brings me to the idea of "one to grow on" as it relates to life/personal lessons that I am learning. FOR REAL?? "One" to grow on? Only one?? Yeah right...if only I could be so lucky...LOL...take another look at the title of my post...LOL!

So, in the spirit of being real and honest, I charged myself with sharing some of my shortcomings with you. Here's five (LOL..."one"...that tickles me...LOL):

1. Discipline: from returning phone calls to shedding pounds for health, I must incorporate more discipline into my life.

2. Patience: seems weird to have this one when I just said we need to act, but keep in mind that patience does not equate to idleness!

3. Reservation: I cannot say "yes" to every request. I have to be sure to reserve time and energy for myself and the things that I need/want to do.

4. Honesty: as it relates to my feelings. Not for every little tiny thing, but for the big things...the ones that will keep me awake at night...I must be open with my feelings, concerns, wants and needs.

5. Risks: I have to be willing to take more risks. Without them, there can be no reward.

There are definitely more, but I reserve the right to keep the rest to myself...LOL. And even though I shared what seems to be a very "manageable" list with you - don't go looking for any immediate "breakthrough" posts because after all...I am a "work in progress!" LOL.

But, like they say: Knowing is half the battle!


13 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger TTD said...

we are all works in progress... and ur right "knowing is 1/2 the battle"

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Darbs said...

@ Black Diamond: Thanks for visiting with me and welcome to the neighborhood :o). Blogging and my new blog family have REALLY made a difference in my life...I hope that you find it will do the same for you. Keep on movin'...and WELCOME, again!

Blessings!

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger chele said...

I know plenty of people who spend so much time pointing fingers at the faults of others that they cannot see their own faults. Recognizing where we need improvement is the first step to improving. Good for you!

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger African girl, American world said...

girl go on and get your Iyanla on!!!! Great post and getting out of your own way is the best lesson ever!

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Darbs said...

@ Chele: AMEN! So do I and I often look at those people like, "for real...are you serious?" Makes. My. Skin. Crawl!

@ Mwabi: LMAO...girl you are a MESS!!! But yes, getting out of your own way IS a great lesson to learn.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Lāā said...

Great post! That's the beauty of blogging...we all gain/learn something from another person's post. Thank you for this list because I need to do some searching myself.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said...

It is good to be able to know and accept that we are not perfect, and we may never be in that perfect place. We are all flawed, and you atually hit a couple of mine on the head...

Accepting our true reality helps us to progress from what were to what we will be...

Excellent post!

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Darbs said...

@ Beautifulzaria: Thanks for stoppin' by my site...and you are right about the application of these lessons!

@ Laa: Your welcome and good luck with your soul search...it can be a scary, but VERY beautiful thing!

@ Luvin': "Accepting our true reality helps us to progress from what we were to what we will be" Love it, Love it, Love it...thank you so much for that bit of wisdom!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Dangerfield said...

And we must be honest and realistic with our flaws, weaknesses and bad habits. We can't skip over some and justify the others. Which brings me to the idea of "one to grow on"


I agree with you one thousands percent. Mark

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger The Sarccastik Variable Why said...

aww shucks..."Knowing is half the battle"...that's from GIJoe cartoons right?...lol...good points

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Soulfull said...

I'm loving this post, Darbs!! My goodness, nothing like a good dose of MOTIVATION! Great post girl! :)

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Darbs said...

@ Mark: Nice to know that you understand where I'm coming from.

@ Sarccastik: LOL...I'm not sure exactly where that comes from...is it from GI Joe???

@ Soulfull: Thanks...in my quest to motivate myself it's awesome that I can find a way to motivate others!

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Dennis Bourne said...

It is G.I.Joe, but that guy was pretty wise, and probably a good Christian - he was all about defeating the forces of evil.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement,
Dennis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home