Monday, July 10, 2006

A "Dedicated" Friend

I was checking my cell phone messages yesterday and I had a message from my BK sister-girlfriend ("BK" meaning Brooklyn for those of you not from the Tri-State area). I figured that she was calling to tell me that she sold another one of my necklaces. NOPE! It was even better than that!

She was calling to dedicate a song to me.

To paraphrase the message, this song is one that makes her think of me every time she hears it. It prompted her to pick up the phone and remind me of the great person that I am...something that she realizes that I may have forgotten...something that she says everyone else still sees (at the very least, those people that really know and love me). She suggested that I listen to this song every morning when I wake up...make it my anthem...use it for motivation...inspiration.

She's right...and I will.

The song is "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield. For those of you who don't know it, it goes a little sumthin' like this...HIT IT (sorry...I just couldn't help myself...LOL):

I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined
I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself with words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

I break tradition, sometimes my tries, are outside the lines
We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself with words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten...

This is EXACTLY what I needed to hear! Is there anything else to say about lyrics that relay a message such as this? I think not.

Please don't take this as bragging...but have I been blessed with wonderful friends, or what? The kind of friends that, when you stumble, know when they need to either pick you back up and push you forward, grab you by the hand and run beside you or when they need to just allow you to rest and finish the race for you. The kind of friends that, no matter how hard you try to hide it, know when you're ebbing and when you're flowing. The kind of friends that remind you that what may feel like an end, is just the beginning. The kind of friends that think you are great.

I want my friend to know that I didn't just hear her message...I listened...and I felt. I felt her concern, her support and her love. Thank you...thank you for reminding me!


With arms wide open, I am...


10 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said...

Friends have a way of caring at the perfect time...I'm glad you have someone in your life like that.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Mocha said...

Lovely post!

I just got back from Atlanta, and guess what was waiting for me??? A Darbs original!!!!
The cross is beautiful! I wore it today and i've received nothing but compliments...and pershaps a few more potential customers. Thanks for sending it so quickly, and the card! I'll save that shit so when you make it big time I can claim to have known you way back when... ;)

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger TTD said...

that was really nice of your friend.. and that is a lovely song...

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger chele said...

Friends like that are hard to come by ... you are blessed.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger African girl, American world said...

how cool...I love music that brings positivity!

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Chosen said...

You are incredibly blessed. Good, true friends are harder to come by these days.

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Darbs said...

@ Luvin: Thanks...I'm glad too :)

@ "Friendship isn't a big thing, it's a million little things" - I like that A LOT...so very true.

@ Mocha: YEA! I'm glad you got it okay and that you like the piece. Thanks again for your support and you know how to reach me if anyone else is interested. Welcome back...can't wait to hear all about Atlanta!

@ TTD: She is sweet like that...very thoughtful.

@ Chele: Very true...and I have been blessed with quite a few of those types of friends!

@ Mwabi: Girl you just like music period...just like me...LOL. But really, music with a message is a beautiful thing!

@ Chosen: Yes, I am very blessed when it comes to friendship...and I thank God for each and every one of them each day!

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger Sangindiva said...

It's always nice to be reminded how much we are loved.
This was beautiful!

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Darbs said...

@ Sangin': Very true...espcially when we are in need of a reminder!

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Soulfull said...

Such a beautiful post!! You truly are blessed sista!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home