Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Delis, Devils and...Darbs!

For those of you who may not know, I am a Jersey Girl through and through - born, raised and very proud of it!

As long as I can remember, Jersey has been the butt of many a joke...but I will forever stand by the fact that New Jersey has got to be one of the best states in which to grow up. No matter where I have been, where I am, or where I may go...The Garden State will ALWAYS be home!

Today's post may prove to be a form of confirmation for some of you "Jersey haters" out there, but for me - it's full of fond memories. So...it is with much of that Jersey pride that I bring you:

"You Know You're From New Jersey If..."

1. You don't think of fruit when people mention 'The Oranges'.

2. You know that it's called Great Adventure, not Six Flags.

3. A good, quick breakfast is a hard roll with butter.

4. You've known the way to Seaside Heights since you were seven.

5. You don't understand why there aren't 24-hour diners elsewhere in the country.

6. You know that the state isn't one big oil refinery.

7. At least three people in your family still love Jon Bon Jovi and you've been to the town Bruce is from.

8. You know what a jughandle is.

9. You know how to properly negotiate a circle.

10. You knew that the last two sentences had to do with driving.

11. You know that the state isn't all farmland.

12. You've never pumped your own gas.

13. You know that this is the only 'New...' state that doesn't require 'New' to identify it (like York , Hampshire, Mexico, etc).

14. You know that a 'White Castle' is the name of BOTH a fast food chain AND a fast food sandwich.

15. You consider putting mayo on a corned beef sandwich a sacrilege.

16. You don't think 'What exit' is very funny.

17. You know that people from the 609 area code are 'a little different'.

18. You know that no respectable New Jersey-ite goes to Princeton - that's for out-of-staters.

19. You live within 20 minutes of at least three different malls.

20. You refer to all highways and interstates by their numbers.

21. Every year you have at least three kids in your class named Tony.

22. You know the location of every clip shown in the Sopranos opening credits.

23. You've gotten on the wrong highway trying to get out of the mall.

24. You know that people from North Jersey go to Seaside Heights, people from Central Jersey go to Belmar and people from South Jersey go to Wildwood. It can be no other way.

25. You weren't raised in New Jersey - you were raised in either North Jersey, Central Jersey or South Jersey.

26. You think the Olive Garden is a bunch of crap and you like the Italian joint in your local strip mall better.

27. You don't consider Newark or Camden to actually be part of the state.

28. You remember Korvette's, Two Guys, Rickels, Channel, Bamburgers and Orbachs.

29. You start planning for Memorial Day weekend in February.

30. You've run out of money at a Parkway tollbooth.

31. You often use variations of the word 'f*ck' while driving.

32. You know that there are no 'beaches' in New Jersey - there's the shore and you don't go 'to the shore' you go 'down the Shore.' And when you are there, you're not 'at the shore' you are 'down the Shore.'

Wow...that REALLY took me waaaaay back!

If you have never been I - like my homestate slogan - "New Jersey, Come See For Yourself" - invite you to do just that.

Aqua Net,
Darbs

5 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger African girl, American world said...

The Oranges in the house!! South, East and West Orange to be exact :)

Garden State represent!

And I still say there are more Burger King's in the state of NJ than any where else in the country! BK's on every corner. They got McDonalds beat.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Darbs said...

@Mwabi: MY GIRL!!!! They just don't know...

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger TDJ said...

I was born in raised in NY, but I can appreciate some of things on this list. Used to live and die to go to Great Adventure, exit 7A baby. I'll never call it Six Flags! :)

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Darbs said...

@TDJ: And I, too, can appreciate NY. There is NO CITY in the world like NYC...gotta love it. And I agree...it, and the ALL, will always be Great Adventure! Thanks for stoppin' through...I've added you to my blogroll as well. Nice to meet new folks :)

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the previous poster, I am from NYC. I didn't realize Great Adventures was even a part of Six Flags until I was an adult!! I can relate to #1 and #3. I did not know about #27...although I understand it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home