Sunday, March 18, 2007

Worth a Thousand Words

Having my picture taken has never been one of my favorite things. I'm not sure why exactly, but it probably has something to do with the fact that I end up hating most of the pictures that are taken of me...regardless of how many people think otherwise.

I'm dogsitting for my best friends this weekend (the ones I used to live with) and I was perusing, as I do time and time again, their "wall of memories." Early during my stay, my BF decided that she wanted to frame some of her treasured photos and display them along her staircase wall...photos of family and friends, traditions and travels. Loving a decorating project, I offered my assistance. And, I'm glad that I did because that ended up being one of my fondest and most memorable times during my stay with them.

A picture is truly worth a thousand words...and laughs...memories...and sometimes tears.

As I studied the photographs, specifically the two in which I appear, I made the decision that I need to start taking more pictures. Based on the opening of this entry, it's obviously not that I'm a narcissist. Rather, what brought about this decision was the emotion that the pictures evoked. Joy.

With life being as wonderful as it is for me right now - coupled with the fact that as I get older, life gets shorter - I think it would be such a shame if I didn't capture these special moments in my life. Because, today, I truly realized that it's not about how cute or not so cute your clothes are...it's not about how overweight or underweight you may be...it's not about whether you posed or it was candid - it's about the moment. Moments that cause you to stop...to want to remember THIS time. Or, for that matter,cause others to want to remember the time...realizing that although it may not be a special moment for you, it just might be for the person with whom it is being shared.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - that's what the plaque on my desk at work reads.

Be they because of love or laughter, serenity or surprise, awe or admiration...I want to capture the moments that take my breath away.

Now understandably, some discretion will be used...I'm not going to be all willy-nilly about it thanks to PhotoShop and the World Wide Web. However, I have made the decision to be more willing to seize life's moments and say.........CHEESE! (preferably Brie...or feta, thanks)


10 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i LOVE taking pictures.. guess u can chalk mine up to being a narcissist! lol. j/k

but seriously.. i love taking pictures... forgetting about them and going back & just remembering what was going on at the time the picture was taken... great feeling!

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger CreoleInDC said...

Don't forget a good smoked aged cheddar!

SO GLAD YOU'RE BACK PRINCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Darbs said...

@TTD: Yeah, you do share quite a few photos and I think that's great. Trips down memory lane are good for the spirit!

@Creole: Oh, so now you wanna be all nice and thangs :) Yeah...smoked aged cheddar definitely makes the Top 5.

 
At 2:52 AM, Blogger Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

Darbs, great to see you again!! And I have to say thanks for this post. I am getting married in just 4 days now and I can't tell you how stressed I was feeling, getting caught up in all the madness that the planning and logistics involves, and totally forgetting to relax and enjoy it all. I don't want to look stressed in my pictures!

Keep up the great work on your blog, we need more people sharing thoughts like this on the blogosphere!!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Lāā said...

I didn't like taking pics either when I was younger, but I really appreciate looking at them and remembering.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Shug said...

DARBS!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're back! Glad to see you. What you know about that feta cheese?

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger African girl, American world said...

Amen! That post would have ended perfectly with a nice picture of your cheesing self :)

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Darbs said...

@Shelly: Where have I been??? I didn't know that you were getting married!!! I'm so excited for you! You definitely must take the time to stop and enjoy your day...it all happens so fast and before you know it, it's over. You must, must, must take lots and lots of pictures! CONGRATS and I hope your day is everything that you dreamed of and more!

And thanks for the compliments and encouragement...I'm glad your enjoying my blog.

@Laa: Remembering is nice...I find myself taking trips down memory lane very often.

@Shug: Yup...I'm back and thrilled! I couldn't stand being away. Let me find out you're a feta cheese lover...Greek salads (w/ extra feta) are my absolute favorite!

@Mwabi: That would have been nice, huh? I'm working on it!

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First let me say that I'm loving that you are blogging again! Second, that quote is from "HITCH." You may be the QBC but I know a little something too :) Please believe we will take TONS of photos next time I see you!

- Neq

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Darbs said...

@Neq: I'm glad you're still reading...I thought you forgot about me for a minute :) I will ALWAYS and forever be the QBC! And I know you Glamour Girl...you're all about the pics, so I better get ready!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home